Monday, September 15, 2008

In search of Bubba


So I heard somebody on TV the other day talking about the “Bubba” vote, and I listened with disinterest, until my wife pointed out that they were talking about me.

Now hang on a minute. I’m not a Bubba. Am I?

I went and looked it up. Apparently, the Bubba vote refers to white (check), working-class (check), mostly rural (not so much) voters. But those are really code words. I think what they mean by the Bubba vote is the redneck vote.

They mean the kind of guy who walks out of a Larry the Cable Guy concert and says, “I wish I was as smart as him.” They mean the kind of guy who takes his wife to Wal-Mart for a chili dog for their anniversary dinner. They mean a guy who wears sleeveless shirts to church.

That’s a Bubba. And I’m not one of those.

I’m not saying I’m not related to some. And I might do a Bubba-like thing here and there. I know all the words to “The Devil Went Down to Georgia.” I’ve been known to bark at a football game. I consider Chili’s a fancy restaurant. I have a tan-line that stops just above my elbow. I’ve eaten potted meat for dinner.

Jethro Bodine? He was a Bubba. So were Junior Samples and Gomer Pyle and pretty much everybody on the Dukes of Hazzard except for Daisy (she was a hubba-hubba, not a Bubba). But I’m not a Bubba. I’m pretty sure about this.

I did get called a dumb hillbilly once, in Boston, when I was negotiating with some fellows on the street for some Red Sox tickets. The guy didn’t want to tell me exactly where in the stadium the tickets were located, so I told him what he could do with them, and what I said wasn’t nice, so he called me a dumb hillbilly, and I called him a stupid Yankee, but cooler heads prevailed and order was restored. I wound up getting in the game for free anyway, so who’s the dumb hillbilly, huh?

Don’t answer that.

Frankly, the whole “Bubba vote” thing is offensive. I don’t think we’d stand for using a stereotypical name to group other categories of voters, like women, or black people, or Hispanics, or strippers (you never hear about the “Diamond vote”).

Whatever. Call me what you will. I’m secure in my non-Bubbaness. As Popeye once said, “I yam what I yam.” Or maybe that was Jethro.

5 comments:

Sonya said...

Funny!

I'm definitely not a bubba since I am a woman, but I do know all of the words to "The Devil Went Down to Georgia".

Arlene said...

I can't understand why it is that people above the Mason-Dixon Line can't wrap their minds around the fact that not every person in the bible belt has to be some backwoods, hillbilly redneck with no teeth who stands constantly on the ready to condemn people to hell, or explain how the tornado sounded, while being filmed live from the trailer park.....It drives me beyond insane. In defense of most southern people and southern traditions I could go on and on.....The fact that someone actually used the term "Bubba" in reference to any Southern White Male voter infuriates me...
You did, however, manage to make me laugh and for that I am always grateful.

Anonymous said...

Yawn. Borrrringgggg. You southern people are all alike. You try too hard to sound funny and fail miserably. I'm so glad you guys know the words to "The Devil Went Down to Georgia." Wow. How fascinating!

Mark Williams said...

I don't know, Leslie. I think I'm able to sound funny without hardly trying at all.

Anonymous said...

I've had SEX with Leslie!

It was VERY Borrrringgggg!

-Bubba